In Spring 2019 we plan to begin public involvement – launching a thorough process to develop proposals jointly with local communities, health and care staff and local groups that will form the basis of any formal consultation. This discussion will be based around four key areas:
- Simplifying urgent and emergency care
- Developing a new vision for health and care in Staffordshire and Stoke-on-Trent
- Reviewing Community Hospitals in South Staffordshire
- Identifying additional priorities that will deliver clinical and financial stability.
We will use a number of ways to involve our stakeholders, staff and the wider public to support effective discussion and debate, followed by rigorous feedback and reporting. We will continue to update this page as we move closer to our pre-consultation phase.
We are committed to:
- Our Pre-Consultation Business Case being written in plain language
- Ensuring our Pre-Consultation Business Case is visual (including diagrams and easy read documents)
- Testing our Pre-Consultation Business Case with patients and staff to ensure accessibility
- Providing access to interpreters
- Arranging involvement events at different times and days of the week to maximise attendance
- Using digital tools including webinars to support people who may not be able to attend face-to-face events
- Providing reasonable adjustment and support
- Holding events in venues that meet Disability Discrimination Act requirements and to make reasonable adjustments for participants who specify any particular needs.
For each of our targeted groups we will design appropriate events that support effective dialogue. This will include attending existing meetings, designing small focus groups to gain qualitative insight, larger events and a range of public roadshows and meetings to involve as many people as possible.
We will provide electronic and paper copies of our involvement surveys; these will include multiple choice questions as well as space for people to share their views. An Easy Read version will also be produced.
Involvement with health and care staff
Listening to and involving staff across health and social care is vital to ensuring our Pre-Consultation Business Case addresses local needs and the issues our staff face every day. They have the knowledge and technical expertise to help us deliver clinically and financially sustainable services that meet local people’s needs.
We will involve staff in the following ways:
- Share regular updates on our work and promote opportunities to get involved through our partners’ existing communications channels, including newsletters, staff intranets and staff briefings
- Clinical and programme leads from each of our partners will actively lead on opportunities to involve staff within their organisations, ensuring central communications are tailored to their relevant staff needs
- Hold bespoke events for staff to meet with us to share their views and help identify issues and opportunities; these events may include focus groups and roadshows held at key partner locations
- Use digital channels, for example webinars and surveys to support staff to take part in the dialogue, during their busy work schedule
- Use existing governance structures such as the Clinical Leadership Forum and Clinical Advisory Group.
We welcome the support of the media community in helping us to deliver balanced information that will support patients to participate and share their views. We will launch an ongoing dialogue through the local media, including press releases, social media posts and radio interviews and commit to providing regular and timely press releases that are written in plain language.
We recognise that digital channels will not reach everyone; however, used appropriately it will help us to reach people who are not able to attend focused events. You can follow us on Twitter @TWBstaffsstoke.
Our monthly newsletter provides updates on our involvement journey, alongside updates from our work programmes and other news and events from Together We’re Better. You can sign up to our newsletter. For previous editions, visit our Newsletters page.
Monthly assurance reports
Our partners will receive a monthly report that updates them on the progress of the development of the Pre-Consultation Business Case.