The Staffordshire and Stoke-on-Trent Health and Care People Hub are recruiting people to join us as Care Reserves in Staffordshire and Stoke-on-Trent during this crucial winter period and beyond.
Support our amazing NHS and social care teams by stepping in and supporting services at critical times. If you want to make a difference but can’t commit full time, just now and again…then this could be the perfect role for you! Even if you can offer just a few hours once or twice a month, this will have a positive impact for vulnerable adults in our local communities.
You will have opportunities to work across care homes or you may be helping to look after people in their own home. You don’t need previous experience in care, as full training will be provided – what is more important is kindness, compassion and resilience.
It doesn’t matter what your background is for this role; you may be in work already and looking to pick up extra hours, or you may have retired and want to ‘give something back’; perhaps you are looking for flexible work around caring, studying or family commitments and would like to try something new!
Who we’re looking for:
- Individuals who can show sensitivity and empathy to others, whilst being resilient and able to work independently across our diverse community
- Experience or a background in the care sector is not essential, however you must be willing to undertake training
- Good English, numeracy and writing skills are important
- You will need to be able to understand and follow procedures
- Strong communication and listening skills are essential
- You must be age 18+ to apply for this role
- A full UK driving licence and access to a car is preferred, but not essential
Please note that care reserve workers will also be required by law to be fully vaccinated against COVID by Apr ’22 (unless exemptions apply)
What we can offer you:
- The chance to ‘give something back’, whilst fitting around your existing commitments. You can sign up for as many or as few hours as you wish to
- Placements at locations across Staffordshire and Stoke on Trent
- Outstanding wellbeing support: we’ll look after you every step of the way!
- An opportunity to make a real difference in your community
- Excellent NHS Terms and Conditions
- Great work experience for your CV and opportunities to build your career within the NHS and social care. Click here to find out more
- A comprehensive paid training package to meet your individual needs and opportunities to develop your skills
- Work shadowing and buddy systems
All necessary training and personal protective equipment (PPE) will be provided to help keep you, and the people around you, safe.
What kind of roles would I be carrying out as a Care Reserve?
You could be working in a care home, or as part of a home care service in the homes of people you are supporting. You would be helping people with physical and social activities, such as:
- Assisting people to eat and drink
- Assisting with personal care such as showering and dressing
- Undergoing basic medical checks - monitoring individuals’ conditions and possibly helping administer medication
How would I be trained?
Working in a care home or a care home service can sound daunting if you have never done it before. However, there are thousands of existing care staff who do this across the county, and you will be offered the same induction and basic training that the NHS or one of the local authorities would offer any other care worker. We will talk you through what to expect if you are deployed as a Reservist.
Full intensive training (some face to face and some virtual) will be provided and includes elements such as:
- How to carry out personal care tasks
- Infection prevention and control
- Manual handling
You will also be offered chances to “shadow” an existing, experienced care worker before you are deployed as a Care Reservist. This means that you will have experienced what it is like to work in a care setting before we first ask you if you could cover care calls/shifts as a Reservist.
For more information and to apply please click here
What career paths can this role open up to me?
Our Care Reserve role could be just the very start of your brand new Career in Care – find out more here about all the career paths which will be open to you