We have multiple objectives focused on improving maternity services alongside services for children and young people. With regards to maternity services, the Staffordshire and Stoke-on-Trent Maternity Transformation Programme is working in partnership with Together We’re Better and new parents to develop local services that meet the recommendations of NHS England’s Better Births report. In terms of children and young people, we’re developing an action plan to tackle those areas where services can be improved.
Priorities and projects
- We want to work with maternity services from surrounding areas to learn and share best practice in order to improve the quality and safety of maternity and newborn services
- We’re recruiting a team of Maternity Champions to work with women and families in co-producing and improving services (see case study)
- We’re empowering staff in maternity services to develop new ways of working; e.g. increasing personalised care planning
- We’re working in partnership with Public Health to undertake a range of developments to improve the health and wellbeing of women and babies; e.g. increase breastfeeding rates
- We’re increasing perinatal mental health service capacity across Staffordshire and Stoke-on-Trent and launching a campaign to reduce perinatal mental health stigma
- We’re also developing an action plan to tackle areas where we’ve identified services can be improved for children and young people.
Aims and outcomes
- We want to see a 50% reduction in stillbirths by 2025 (20% by 2021)
- We want 90% of women to be able to choose from three birth settings by 2021
- We want to see a 50% reduction by 2025 in neonatal brain injuries occurring during childbirth
- We want a minimum of 51% of women to be on a continuity of carer pathway by 2021
- We’re also developing an action plan to improve services for children and young people.
Find out more
Search for updates via the hashtags #PanStaffsMVP or #PanStaffsMTP on Twitter.
You can also join the partnership via its Facebook group page – search for ‘Pan Staffordshire Maternity Voices Partnership’.