We have multiple objectives focused on improving maternity services alongside services for children and young people. With regards to maternity services, the Staffordshire and Stoke-on-Trent Maternity Transformation Programme is working in partnership with Together We’re Better and new parents to develop local services that meet the recommendations of NHS England’s Better Births report. In terms of children and young people, we’re developing an action plan to tackle those areas where services can be improved.
Priorities and projects
- We want to work with maternity services from surrounding areas to learn and share best practice in order to improve the quality and safety of maternity and newborn services
- We’re recruiting a team of Maternity Champions to work with women and families in co-producing and improving services (see case study)
- We’re empowering staff in maternity services to develop new ways of working; e.g. increasing personalised care planning
- We’re working in partnership with Public Health to undertake a range of developments to improve the health and wellbeing of women and babies; e.g. increase breastfeeding rates
- We’re increasing perinatal mental health service capacity across Staffordshire and Stoke-on-Trent and launching a campaign to reduce perinatal mental health stigma.
Children and Young People
- Reducing inappropriate demand in children’s health and social care services with a focus on the most vulnerable (looked after children, children in need of protection)
- Embed a preventative approach with a focus on early years, positive parenting and early interventions
- Work across the system to improve the pathways and transition points for children with complex health needs.
Aims and outcomes
- We want to see a 50% reduction in stillbirths by 2025 (20% by 2021)
- We want 90% of women to be able to choose from three birth settings by 2021
- We want to see a 50% reduction by 2025 in neonatal brain injuries occurring during childbirth
- We want a minimum of 51% of women to be on a continuity of carer pathway by 2021
Staffordshire and Stoke-on-Trent Maternity Voices Partnership newsletter
Read the latest information from the local Maternity Voices Partnership and our Maternity Champions:
Staffordshire and Stoke-on-Trent Local Maternity and Neonatal System (LMNS) newsletter
The latest information from the Together We're Better LMNS:
Issue 1 - Meet the team and hear about the local Maternity Champions
Become a Maternity Champion
You will not have to do anything outside your normal day-to-day routine and can speak to women as and when you attend groups yourself. The feedback you provide will help inform our work and improve maternity services across Staffordshire and Stoke-on-Trent.
Search for updates via the hashtags #PanStaffsMVP or #PanStaffsMTP on Twitter.
You can also join the Maternity Voices Partnership via its Facebook group page – search for ‘Staffordshire and Stoke-on-Trent Maternity Voices Partnership’.